March 13, 2014

30-day juice challenge off to solid start

OK. I'll admit it. I don't like vegetables. I rarely eat them. I know I should. I know they're good for me. But I just can't get them down.

It's not really my parents' fault. My mom force fed me vegetables as a child. But I never liked them. And I guess when I didn't have to eat them anymore I stopped. It's also not my wife's fault. She has begged, pleaded and even tried to force me to eat vegetables since we've been married. I've eaten a few. But not nearly enough.

So for Lent this year, decided to add something instead of giving up something (I know, not exactly the way it works but go with it). I decided to try to eat one vegetable per day. One day it was green beans. Then it was corn. Then Brussels Sprouts. Not good but I've managed to eat some.

Then my wife read about this 30-day juice challenge. Natural fruit and vegetables put through the juicer in a different combination every day for 30 days. It's not meal replacement but more of just adding all the vitamins and minerals associated with these fruits and vegetables to your diet.

So I committed and we bought a juicer. And my wife made a major grocery store run to stock up on all the recipes necessary to do this.

Last night was Day 1. Carrots, Apples and Celery. We mixed it up and it smelled just like celery. Then, for probably one of the few times in my life, I sort of ate celery. I'm counting it. As far as I'm concerned, I took a bite right off the stalk.

It wasn't great. But it wasn't that bad either. I did have a celery taste in my mouth for several minutes afterward. But it went away. Day 1. Check.

Today was Day 2. The juice would have oranges, apples and celery. What the heck is up with celery? Uggh. Actually there were quite a few apples in this mixture so I figured it wouldn't be too bad. And it wasn't bad at all. It definitely had a slight celery taste (darn you celery) but it was more the consistency of orange juice. And it was much, much better than yesterday.

Learn more about the challenge here: http://juicerecipes.com/30-day-challenge/

And pray for me. There's beats in the recipes for next week.

No comments: